Thursday, October 15, 2009

You Ain't No Picasso writes about our Os Mutantes opening set



"I’ll be honest; I had originally intended to arrive at Buster’s just before Strangers Family Band ended. But, just like all the other days, Sunday was running a bit behind schedule. So when I showed up around 8:30, it was still over a half an hour until SFB would take the stage and about an hour and a half before Os Mutantes would be on. It wound up working out in my favor, though, because Strangers Family Band was pretty good.

While their set felt like one that I’d seen variations of before, it sounded great. They’d been described to me as “a more psychedelic Doors,” but I’d throw some Brian Jonestown Massacre into the mix as well. They had a friend who dripped food coloring into bowls on an overhead projector and spun them around. The resulting light show was cheap but effective. In fact, it was so well done that it made me wonder why I’d only occasionally seen that technique done before.

Also, they were the only band I’ve ever seen to play the sitar. So big points for dragging that thing around on tour and actually playing it pretty well!

(sidenote: I had originally planned to comment on how good the lead guitarists’ solos were, but Os Mutantes had like 10x better solos. Still, nice job, dude)"

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment